I was planning to make my zucchini pizza for the annual Superbowl party, but since I’m watching what I eat, I decided to make healthy spring rolls instead. Doesn’t mean I won’t have one of Mrs. Zep’s fabulous meatballs, you know, for the protein. So these spring rolls I made during the week were perfect. They’re very filling even though it’s all veggies and they are very good for you. Not a lot of calories and I’m sure, chock full of vitamins. I also grilled up some large shrimp and incorporated them for some extra protein. Serve them with some steamed edamame and you’ve got a delicious, healthy meal. So here’s my healthy choice for the Superbowl party. Shopping tip: I found the rice paper and bean threads at a natural food store so check there if you have trouble finding them in your local grocery. Recipe tip: I put the rice paper in hot water and it almost distintegrated. Put it in warm water for only 10 seconds, then start to fill. By the time you’re ready to roll them, the paper is soft and ready to go. The first couple may be tough but it gets easier, I promise.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 roll and about 2 teaspoons sauce) Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light
- 8 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 2 cups thinly sliced Bibb lettuce leaves (about 4 large)
- 2 cups cooked bean threads (cellophane noodles)
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
1. To prepare rolls, add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish, and let stand for 30 seconds or just until soft. Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/4 cup lettuce over half of sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with 1/4 cup bean threads, 2 tablespoons sprouts, 2 tablespoons carrot, 1 tablespoon mint, 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, and 1 1/2 teaspoons green onions. Folding sides of sheet over filling and starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying). Repeat procedure with remaining roll ingredients.
2. To prepare sauce, combine sugar and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until sugar dissolves. Serve sauce with rolls.