I hate salads. I may have said this in a previous post but I really do hate salads. What’s fun about iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Gross. Here’s a really good salad. Chock full of veggies, a deliciously light dressing and a yummy globber of goat cheese. Even if you’re not that into goat cheese I suggest you try it in this salad. Mixed with the grilled veggies and dressing, it is so creamy and good. I also grilled up a 4 oz. chicken breast, cut it into cubes and threw it in. I eliminated the ciabatta bread and snack mix to cut down on the calories and sodium. Love it. I may regret canceling my Cooking Light subscription. Yikes.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 6 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces goat cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 1/4 cup Sweet Chipotle Snack Mix
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Place eggplant and bell pepper on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Place bell pepper wedges in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel bell pepper wedges. Reserve 2 bell pepper wedges and 2 eggplant slices for Sunday’s brunch. Coarsely chop remaining bell pepper and remaining eggplant. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
3. Place bread slices on grill rack; grill 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
4. Place remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, vinegar, oil, mustard, and salt in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add eggplant, bell pepper, arugula, tomatoes, and spinach; toss gently to combine. Arrange about 2 1/2 cups salad on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 goat cheese slice and 1 tablespoon Sweet Chipotle Snack Mix. Serve each salad with 1 toast slice.
- Fat:14.2g (sat 5.3g,mono 6.2g,poly 1.2g)