I really love this side dish. I’m always trying to find interesting ways to cook up quinoa and this one is really delish. And of course, its very simple to make. The only time consuming part is roasting the garlic but I promise you its worth it. I roast a couple heads at a time and refrigerate them for a later use. Or use it for this dish several times throughout the week. I also didn’t realize quinoa contains more protein than any other grain. And their tasty too. You can find quinoa in the rice section of your grocer or at a natural food store.
recipe courtesy of Cooking Light
Quinoa with Roasted Garlic, Tomatoes, and Spinach
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained (it is important to rinse quinoa to wash off any residue which can be bitter in taste)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp shallots, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 bulb roasted garlic (about 6 cloves), chopped
1 small tomato, seeds removed and chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
1. Rinse the quinoa well.
2. Heat olive oil in a pot. Add shallots and red pepper flakes, and saute for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add quinoa and stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add wine and stir until absorbed.
5. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and cover. Let simmer until broth is absorbed, about 12-15 minutes.
6. Once the broth has absorbed, stir in the roasted garlic, tomatoes, spinach, and cheese.
7. Serve immediately. Serving size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Carb: 16.6 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 305 mg