I’ve been making this recipe for years. It’s a great go-to recipe when there’s not much time to cook and you have all the right ingredients. Plus its easy to double the recipe and freeze for a future dinner. It has a good amount of protein from the sausage and beans and would be excellent served with a side salad. This time around I added a couple handfuls of fresh baby spinach for some extra greens. Make it even easier to prepare and use frozen onions and green peppers.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
- 12 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
Remove casings from sausage.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add sausage, and cook 8 minutes, or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in oregano and remaining ingredients; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Calories:266 (29% from fat)
- Fat:8.5g (sat 2.4g,mono 3.1g,poly 2.8g)